I’m really enjoying the big breakfasts, which I’ve never gotten into the habit of over the years. I used to not eat at all until lunch, unless it was like a hang over day when breakfast was at noon or 1 (back in the day) or just once or twice a week for a real breakfast. But I’m having a love affair with breakfast lately. Who knew. Maybe it has something to do with homemade bacon!
Anyway breakfast WAS late today (hahaha) and so I went with a small quickie lunch of heirloom tomatoes and avocado, which I could eat constantly, really, I think. Of course, you can still find perfect heirlooms this time of year, so I’m looking at it as taking it while I can get it.
I’ve really been craving tacos lately. So, I decided to have a taco salad for dinner. It fulfilled all of my desires, and then some. It actually tasted really close to a taco bowl from like Chipotle or something! Recipe below.
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbls. cooking fat
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 heirloom tomato, chopped
- 2 cups spicy salad greens
- 1 portion taco mix (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat cooking fat (I used beef tallow) in a skillet over medium heat. Once it’s melted, add onions, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground chicken and cook until browned.
- Add taco mix and water and stir well; cook down until the liquid is almost all gone. Remove from heat.
- Throw salad greens, tomato and avocado into a bowl, and top with taco meat. Toss well and serve.
Taco Mix: (makes 1 serving)
- 2 teaspoons Ancho Chili Powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper
Oh! At the end of the day I roasted up a bunch of veggies that were getting older, now I’ll have roasted veggies ready to heat ‘n’ eat. So pretty, too!